Saturday, August 4, 2007

How quickly they forget


I had a funny experience in the studio yesterday. I suddenly had an idea for a new collage technique. It seemed like a great idea that would highlight all the good things about the materials and methods I use, while working around the things that didn't usually go so well. I knew it would look great!

So I spent most of the day preparing to try out my idea -- stretching canvases of various sizes and priming them, as well as creating sheets of marks on fabric to use for the collage. This took a long time, as it was so humid yesterday that everything was slow to dry, even with a fan trained directly on it.

While waiting for everything to dry, I wondered why I hadn't thought of this great idea before. It seemed so obvious now, such a perfect solution.

Finally I was able to start collaging. And as I cut the first strips of fabric and started to glue them on the canvas, I remembered: I HAD tried this technique before, this exact same thing, and it had totally BOMBED! Oh-oh! I went ahead and finished anyway (results above), and it isn't as bad as I remembered it from the previous try, but it certainly isn't a satisfying result to me.

So ... back to the old electronic brain (as Marvin the Martian would say).

2 comments:

K. R. Seward said...

Looks better than you say.

Maybe you only forgot so as to revisit the idea & give it another try.

Catherine Carter said...

Thank you for the kind words! I did find it interesting, though, that I TOTALLY blanked on this technique.