Monday, June 22, 2009

Where am I now?


The sorting and organizing continue!

I have to emphasize, to those who don't know me personally, that I am super-organized (maybe even to the point of fanaticism!) and I have an absolute phobia of accumulated STUFF. But even with those natural tendencies, I am finding it absolutely essential to go through my shelves, cabinets and closets on a regular basis and get rid of things I no longer need.

So this morning I'm tackling the "art career" drawer of my filing cabinet. The last time I did anything with it beyond just throwing papers into files (which was February), I had just taken a big step in my ongoing "get the work out there" campaign. That was when I sent a mailing to four local art consultants and nine local galleries. But then I got so busy with teaching and fighting the flu that I haven't touched the project since.

This morning I had a chance to review where I stood four months after the mailing: one scheduled show, two "will keep you in mind" responses, two paintings placed with an art consultant, and one extremely polite and professional rejection letter. Not bad, considering the economic times and the odds in general.

I threw out a lot of paperwork that no longer applies and updated my lists. Now that I know what's what, I can plan my next steps (toward a national mailing), something I couldn't do when I had a drawer stuffed with papers and a vague memory of the various emails and letters I received in response to my mailings.

My point is, even if you're generally organized from day to day, it is my realization that you MUST schedule a "where am I now, where do I want to go, what must I do to get there, what are my next steps" session for yourself at least twice a year if you want your career and life to progress.

Now I am heading downstairs to my studio to update my inventory list, something I haven't done since last fall. A lot of pieces have been placed, sold, painted over, or created since that time.

I'll be honest with you. I wish I could reward myself with a giant hunk of chocolate cake for all of these heroic organizing efforts. But since that's not possible (hello, scale), I'll have to make due with my favorite lentil casserole, carrots, and a baked potato with Bragg's sprinkled liberally on top.

Next stop: my clothes closet!

No comments: