Saturday, November 22, 2008

Money, honey


As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thinking of the many, many things I have to be thankful for -- this year, in particular. One of those things is that every penny I've earned this year has been made in exchange for doing something I LOVE -- painting, writing or teaching.

As someone who was miserable at work until my mid-30s, I consider this quite an accomplishment. I have always liked the people I worked with, but the jobs I held felt like confinement and drudgery. Now, as a painter working in my own studio, an adjunct faculty member, and a freelance writer, I have complete control over my own time, and therefore, my life. What a luxury, for which I am most grateful.

The picture above is "Yellow Web 3" (acrylic on canvas, 50" H x 30" W), one of my paintings that was sold this year.

Money is money, but somehow it feels better to pay one's bills with dollars that were earned by labors of love.

No comments: