Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Not your average Hallmark


Today was FUN – just the creative change I was saying I needed in my last blog entry.

My friend, sculptor Gwen Holbrow, invited a group of artists to her home to make Valentine cards for the Valentine Artist Grant. She had laid out an inspiring array of magazines and comic books to tear up for collage images, as well as card stock, tiny red hearts, feathers, netting, and other accoutrements for her guests’ Valentine-making pleasure (not to mention home-made Christmas cookies and freshly brewed coffee).

I haven’t made “narrative” collages like this since I was an undergraduate, and it’s such a trip to return to this style! I whipped out six valentines in all; three of my favorites are pictured here.

FUN, FUN, FUN – we all need a little more fun in this too-solemn world. I suggest you grab some scissors and a jar of rubber cement, and make a Valentine so you’re eligible to apply for this wonderful grant! For more information, go here.



No comments: