Thursday, January 17, 2008

Next steps

Here’s the lowdown on the paintings posted in my last blog entry, and some subsequent pieces I’ve made in response to both of them.

The top, nine-sectioned work in the last blog entry was the one I was immediately taken with. I liked it so much, in fact, that I made two more paintings along similar lines (so to speak). All three are 20 inches square.

Here’s one that alternates squares of cut paper with acrylic lines on white fabric:



Here’s a detail shot of this painting:



And here’s another one that alternates red marker and white acrylic lines on paper, with red acrylic lines on white fabric:



Here’s a detail shot of this painting:



The second painting I posted in my last blog entry, the one containing red and white swirling lines, ultimately didn’t work for me. However, it did inspire a couple of monoprints (also 20 inches square) that seemed to say more of what I meant that painting to say:





This is a good lesson for me. Even if a piece isn’t a “success” in and of itself, it can spawn some pretty cool stuff.

No comments: