Friday, April 11, 2008

Art making a difference


I have had another painting placed by the Art Connection, the third piece I've donated through them so far. This one is will go to Victory Housing on Warren Street, a new residential program in Boston for adults who are homeless.

I believe the Art Connection to be a most worthy organization. I see so much need around me, locally and globally. People are poor, ill, lonely, depressed, desperate, hungry, down on their luck. It can be overwhelming to figure out how to help, especially when I can just about pay my bills at the end of the month.

But if I can't help with money, I can help with art. I like to think someone who visits one of the community service organizations that has selected my work through the Art Connection might be cheered by seeing my painting, or relaxed by it, or in some way have their spirits renewed or uplifted. There is a powerful potential for good when we come in contact with a work of art that has been created lovingly by human hands, and given in a spirit of hope and sharing.

While I believe that everyone has innate creative ability, we as visual artists have been given a special kind of creativity that not everyone is blessed with. We can best give thanks for this gift by using it in service of others.

It's wonderful to help deserving public-service organizations with money, if you have it. But if you have art to give, that has the potential to be just as valuable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your painting is a burst of cheer that would brighten hearts in any room. And your writing about a complex subject is inspiring. Thanks for publicizing Art Connection. I hope I can follow up with a donation later this year.

Catherine Carter said...

Thank you for the kind words, Laraine! This really is a worthy organization to contribute to, if you can.