Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A time for thanksgiving

The Thanksgiving season is the perfect time to examine our lives and give thanks for all the gifts we have had the good fortune to receive. This is why I think it's important to wait, at least until the sun goes down on Thanksgiving Day, to start "decking the halls" and diving in to the celebratory hoopla of the winter holiday season.

In taking quiet time for reflection and appreciation, we accept our humanity, acknowledge our humility, and encourage the blessings to continue to flow. Plus, it's just plain fun to feel the smile come over your face, and sense the warmth in your heart, that comes from recalling and reliving pleasant memories.

Last night I decided to make a list of the highlights of my art career. As I was compiling this list, I realized how many people have given to me generously during the 14 years I have been a professional artist. Their generosity is what has brought about all of the experiences on my list. (Out of respect for everyone's privacy, I haven't mentioned names here, but these folks know who they are, and I hope they know how grateful I am.)

These highlights include:

Three of my monotypes were purchased by the Boston Public Library in 2011. I am very grateful to the artist who was kind enough to give me the contact information for the curator there, and allow me to use her name as a personal reference when I contacted the curator.

Ten of my paintings were purchased by Berkshire Partners in the John Hancock Building, and ten paintings were purchased by the Four Seasons Hotel in Boston. I am very grateful to the artist who recommended me to the consultant who made these sales. I am also very grateful to the consultant herself, who has encouraged my work and made so many sales for me over the last five years that we've worked together.

Twice my artwork has been exhibited at U.S. Embassies - namely, those in Oman and Cameroon - through the Art In Embassies Program. I am very grateful to the friend who brought this program to my attention and recommended that I apply.

I am very grateful to the Boston gallerist who showed my work in two solo shows and two three-person shows at her gallery, and who recommended me for the St. Botolph Club Foundation grant, which I was awarded in 2002.

I am very grateful to the independent curators who have invited me to participate in their exhibits.

I am very grateful to the art critic who reviewed my work for the Boston Globe on four separate occasions.

I am very grateful for my many artist friends who have shared with me the good times and the tough times that we all experience in this crazy creative career. From artist friends whom I see on a regular basis, to those I've known since we were together in art school and first starting out, to artists I've only "met" on Facebook but whose commentary and support I enjoy and appreciate -- I have many good folks in my life.

And of course, my entire career wouldn't have been possible without the support of my beloved husband and parents.

This list reveals that I have a LOT of great experiences in my career, and they all happened because of the great people in my life. Here's to many more years, of many more highlights!

No comments: