Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Oldies But Goodies, Part 2 in a series

Detail of "Veil"

This is the second installment in an ongoing series in which I revisit older paintings to connect the threads of how I got from there to here.

The artwork below, titled "Veil," was created in 2000. I had been experimenting with using acrylic gel medium in combination with spray paint to create various printmaking effects, and this 28" square work on canvas is part of that series. I was also working with a limited palette at this time, so as to eliminate the distraction of color.


Soon after its completion, this painting was exhibited, along with two other from the series, in "Rhymes and Rhythms," a group show at the Artworks! gallery in New Bedford. There it was seen and purchased by a collector, who subsequently bought another of my paintings from a different venue.

I was pleased with the calm, repetitive nature of this piece. Its lace-like pattern inspired its title, as did the fact that you can still barely see the first layer of larger brown loops in the background.

"Veil," acrylic and spray paint on canvas, 28" square, 2000



No comments: