Sunday, August 2, 2009

Blue works in progress

I keep wanting to work BIG (like bigger than my body), but I just don't have the space (even though my studio is sizable) or the carpentry skills (to build big stretchers) or the cash (to hire someone to build big stretchers, and then to rent a vehicle big enough to drive my big paintings to exhibition venues).

So I've decided to try a "modular" approach, by making a number of moderately sized panels and hanging them alongside one another.

Since I've had so much fun focusing on blue recently, I've decided to do a series of 5 blue panels. The longest stretcher bars I had on hand were 50", but that will do for a start. So I've stretched 5 canvases that are 50" x 20", which will get me up to a respectable width when they're displayed together.

Here are the initial layers of paint on the first two panels:



No comments: