Friday, December 2, 2016

First Steps in New Studio

It has been 5 months since my last post! And not because there has been nothing to write about!

It seems strange to look back at that last post. When I wrote it, I had no idea where my new studio would be. It was intimidating to consider the daunting road ahead: I needed to find a new place; get moved in; get set up; and get my creative routine rolling again.

Fast forward five months, and here we are. The space is at Hatch Street Studios, a dynamic community of 50+ artists working in a restored 19th-century textile mill in the historic North End of New Bedford. Soon after I moved in on October 1, the group held its annual open studios event, and I was excited to participate. Many old friends came by, including one I hadn't seen since 1982 and one I hadn't seen since 2010, and there were many new guests who seemed to enjoy my work. I was pleased that a piece from my "Bubble" series sold to an enthusiastic collector who is also an artist.

A week later (last weekend), I dismantled the open studio setup and arranged the space in the ideal way for me to work, and a few days ago, I finally put brush to canvas. So I'm decidedly headed down a new road, looking forward to turning the new studio into a productive place to work.

Here are some photos documenting my activities in the new space.

Just moved in! (October 1)
First order of business: set up for open studios event (November 19 and 20)
Another view of studio at open studio event

Larger work on display at open studio event
Finally set up and ready to work (November 29)

Newest series under way (December 1)

No comments: